Re: Anti-seize on lug posts? (no LBC content)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anti-seize on lug posts? (no LBC content)
From: icesailr@mail.netacc.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 00:41:07 -0400
Yes Martin torque is involved and stickiness, or lack there of, plays a
part also. I think the process may be more accurately conveyed as such:
torque would be the force applied to the system to bring about the stretch
of shaft as well as threads of shaft and nut. The inability of the system
to remove said stretch is what actually holds it all together.

Now, to leave the above topic and move on to a different subject; in the
case of my using either anti-seize or wheel bearing grease, which was my
original post: I apply the lube to  various threaded components to 1st ease
in reassembly and 2nd to minimize the amount of corrosion the system
experiences during use. The lube, for the most part, is squeezed out from
between the tight stretched threads and remains as a seal on the rest of
the surfaces and, if still present upon disassembly, will ease that process
as well. In the case of anti-seize I have found that the lubricating
properties remain over time, in dry form, but the sealing ability and
therefore the corrosion resistant properties are lost.

I fail to see Martin where your post  "And what holds in a lug nut is bolt
torque -- the stretching of the stud -- not thread stickiness."  has much
bearing.

Rick