Re: Inert Inertial Reel

Subject: Re: Inert Inertial Reel
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:21:23 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Adrian wrote:

> Early ones used sudden slowing of forward
> momentum of the vehicle to lock. This type will never lock when the vehicle
> is in the stationary position.
> Later ones, and generally speaking all modern types, used a different
> mechanism that would lock when the belt is pulled sharply.

Hmmm, I thought it was the other way around, which I guess just shows
that it pays to check carefully !  And actually, the ones that sense
vehicle deceleration instead of belt acceleration _will_ sometimes lock
with the vehicle stationary, for instance pointed down a very steep
hill.  My Chevy has an override when the doors are open, to enable
passengers to exit under these conditions.

Randall