Re: Coming down

To: spitlist@gte.net, Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be
Subject: Re: Coming down
From: GreenBugeye@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:18:38 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/12/01 11:50:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spitlist@gte.net writes:

> "J.H. Roulleaux" wrote:

> > Thanks God, Georgy Boy is on his way to save us, he promised that U.S.
> > will lower their fuel consumption, Europe will receive more petroleum
> > and the prices at the pump will go down to U.S level.
> > Jean
>

> If you are waiting for Bush to lower fuel consumption, you are gonna be
> waiting a long time.  This guy is in the oil business and consumption is how
> he got rich!!!
>
> Joe

This is a great example of how little ability our politicians have to
influence this.  Consumption continued to rise during the Clinton years, too,
and Bush Sr. and Reagan.  Economic expansion means increased need for energy,
period.

Of course, there are solutions -- they just aren't very popular, especially
here in the US.  What do you suppose would happen if everyone suddenly had to
pay what Jonmac paid for gas?  Imagine filling up your Excursion at
$4.18/gallon!  Surely, a tax that moved gas prices to that level would
encourage folks here to buy more efficient cars, right?  That would
ultimately be better for the earth and better for our children's children,
right?  OK, now name me a single politician with the guts to suggest such a
thing.

The same is true of nuclear power -- it is incredibly efficient.  You want to
try selling that to the US population?

We all know that we'd be better off 50 years from now if we upped the price
of gas and again started building and relying on nuclear power, but as the
politicians know, voters don't like to make sacrifices.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A