Re: generator problems

Subject: Re: generator problems
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:01:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Michael Gajic wrote:

> However, my ammeter reads +30 to -30, and when charging well it does reach
> +30 so I assume that I have a bit more oomph than a TR3 generator.

Michael :

My guess would be that that is your problem, right there.  Unlike an
alternator, a generator will put out enough current to damage itself.
It's the regulator's job to be sure that doesn't happen.  A stock TR3
generator is fully capable of putting out 30 amps, just not for long !
If you pull the generator, I think you'll find that it has thrown solder
and/or burnt insulation, from being overheated.  I learned all this the
hard way, just before my first TR3 alternator conversion <g>

BTW, although the original TR3 generator was rated 19 amps, the TR4 got
a almost identical unit rated at 21 amps.  It was supplied as a
replacement for many years, so it's likely your car has the 21 amp unit.

Randall