Re: Problem with MSD Ignition in TR6

To: Nelson Riedel <nriedel@nextek.net>
Subject: Re: Problem with MSD Ignition in TR6
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:57:12 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Nelson, Here is what the manual says:

ENGINE RUN-ON
If your engine continues to run even when the ignition is turned Off you are
experiencing engine Run-On.  This usually only occurs on older vehicles
with an external voltage regulator.  Because the MSD receives power directly
from the battery, it does not require much current to keep the unit
energized.  If you are experiencing run-on, it is due to a small amount of
voltage going through the charging lamp indicator and feeding the small red
wire even though the key is off.

(Then it talks about Ford and GM circuits)

It explains how to install the diode in the charging lamp circuit to prevent
the feeding back of voltage through the circuit to the MSD unit.
Basically the diode is installed in line from the alternator to the lamp.  The
stripe on the diode must be pointing toward the alternator.

That fixed the problem.  (It did for me anyway!)

Regards,
Joe