RE: What is a clutch failure? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f56M29i14711

Subject: RE: What is a clutch failure? teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f56M29i14711
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:01:57 -0700
Randall wrote:

>Pete :
>
>I'll respectfully disagree on several points.  Although (thankfully) not
>common on LBCs, there are a number of clutch problems you didn't cover, like
>slipping under load and chatter (or judder if you prefer).

Reading over my comments again, I realize that I might've left the
impression that I think that clutches either work or they don't, that
there's never anything in-between.  I apologize for my lack of
clarity
 I really don't believe anything of the sort.  There are all
sorts of degrees of clutch failures, (or malfunction) and given the
two 'failure modes' I discussed, there's certainly no reason at all
why both can't coexist simultaneously.  That is, you could have a
badly worn clutch that slips badly and won't do it's job (transmit
torque) and also have linkage parts that fail to adequately depress
the springs in the pressure plate.

You also correctly point out that the condition of other parts such
as the input shaft can also cause malfunction, (such that it would
appear to be a clutch problem when it really isn't in the clutch
itself) and I would add to that something I've had experience with in
our Toyota
 a pilot bearing that is binding on the end of the input
shaft.  This condition had a tendency to send torque right past the
clutch altogether so that shifting became sticky and entering 1st
gear or reverse at a standstill was impossible.

Maybe I'm wrong in this, but I consider the above circumstances to be
fairly unusual and that is why I left them out.

Regarding chatter, the way I understand it, this phenomenon is
typical of Triumphs in general and while no chattering would
certainly be preferable, I consider it to be more of an idiosyncrasy
than a symptom of an actual failure or malfunction.   I guess that
might depend on the severity of the chatter, though, wouldn't it?  (I
think most TR6 owners are happy if their clutches work AT ALL and as
a result aren't likely to object to a little chatter!!)

>Again, not common, but hydraulics can cause failure to engage, or slow
>engagement, especially if the little wavy washer in the MC breaks or is
>missing.

I agree
 possible, but I would think this would be very rare indeed!

My main point is that for those who are experiencing difficulties
with clutches, (and particularly for those that are novice mechanics
and/or are new to the marque) it might be helpful in diagnosing the
problem to realize how simple the whole problem really is.  Any
particular clutch problem, however mild or severe, can usually be
categorized into two types:  Failure to engage (slippage) and failure
to disengage.

With just a couple of exceptions, I'd say that failure to DISENGAGE
almost NEVER has anything to do with the clutch itself.  Even in
those cases where a damaged input shaft or binding pilot bushing are
causing problems, understand that the clutch itself (and even the
release mechanism) is still functioning properly.  One notable
exception, as I mentioned earlier, would be broken fingers in the
pressure plate.  While I have had one clutch pressure plate that
developed broken fingers, (due to a failed TO bearing) it would still
disengage the clutch just fine.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6