RE: TR3A commission number

To: "'Laure et Georges MERRAN'" <lgmerran@public.shenzhen.cngb.com>, Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Subject: RE: TR3A commission number
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:58:04 +0200
Aha , culprit found .
Since it's your fault that I can't find a TR 4 A Georges , and since you are
only allowed to take one Triumph out of the country , you have no choice but
to send the TR 4A back to me :-)
Seriously Georges , enjoy the South African souvenirs .

Sorry I have no knowledge of the added 8 in the TR 3 A commission number .
First time I've heard about it .
I know South African assembled Spitfires have a 4 added in front of the
normal commission number ( i.e. 4 FC 123.. etc. ).

I've enquired at all the centres ( Cape Town included ) of the Triumph Club
in South Africa without any luck for the past 3 years :-( . TR 's are
extremely scarce . It seems that in the past the majority were sold to
overseas buyers . Possibly due to our poor economy and low value of the Rand
( SA currency ) .

So far I've only encountered one TR4 and two TR 4A's that were for sale here
in SA . All were extremely expensive ( for a normal South African ) , needed
a lot of work or were incomplete . The one TR 4 A even had a six cylinder
engine from a Triumph saloon installed in it . AFAIK all three were sold to
foreign buyers .

The search continues . I'm a patient man :-)

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Projects : '62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .