Re: TR3A commission number

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Dave Quirt" <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3A commission number
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 02:11:15 -0000
Joe Curry wrote:
>While I am familiar with the CKD kitting done in the past, I truly
believe that these Canadian cars do not fall under that category.  In
fact, the "2"
>prefix designates a car that was assembled in Australia.  The number
of cars in Canada with that designation makes me think that there is
another
>explanation in this case.   My own theory is that the port of entry
in Canada actually stamped the number to designate where it entered
the country.
>I have also become aware of some Canadian cars that have a "7"
designation (which according to the CKD program indicates it was
assembled in the
>Republic of Ireland.  That too is a bit of a stretch to think that
kits would be shipped to Ireland, assembled and forwarded to Canada.

>The Port of Entry theory seems to be the best explanation of the
issue.

Good points, Joe but many interesting things have emerged over the
years on vehicle movements. One of the things I find particularly
interesting when "looking over the shoulders" of my colleagues
churning out Heritage Certificates are the historical movements of
cars from one continent to another. I believe the archivists are soon
planning to plough back into previous certificate issues to see where
cars have been used and over the last 10 years, there has been a lot
of activity.
Many (myself included) assume(d) that the vast majority of cars left
the factory as built-up or CKD kit units, went to the country of
ultimate destination - and stayed there. Of course, this was exactly
the case but quite a number of people send us the results of their own
research when trying to unravel the history of their own vehicles and
its amazing where they have been. Last year, I came across a TR4 that
has travelled more than a little extensively.
According to our records:
It first of all went to South Africa as a built up unit with right
hand steer
Then it went to British Columbia and was converted to left hand steer
Next stop was Sydney, Australia - and back to right steer
Back to Los Angeles - and another left hand steer
Finally, its come back here - and guess where the owner plans to put
the wheel?
This global travel is by no means unusual for many former UK makes -
so first stop Ireland and then to pastures new?
Entirely possible. Who  knows, might have had some Shamrock shipped
with it in the lamp lenses along with the spare keys!

Cheers
Jonmac