lbc but non-Triumph

To: "Fisher, ED" <edwd@ti.com>
Subject: lbc but non-Triumph
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:25:40 -0500
Cc: "Triumph Group (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Fisher, ED"
>My wife and I have a 15 year old living with us that came from Mexico.
His
name is Rene', and we will be adopting him before the end of the summer.  I
have found a 1964 Austin Healy Sprite that I think I can pick up for less
than $1000.00 US dollars.  The car is rust free (we live in Texas) and
should run.  My question:  Are 64 Sprites problematic, or should I say any
more prone to difficulties than any other LBCs?  Are there any particular
areas that I should be aware of before purchasing?  I would appreciate any
advice.
 <

Interesting.  A boy (er, excuse me, young man) form Mexico with a French
name. But then I once new a French guy named Jose' (pronounced Joe-zay) so
what can I say being from a nation of imigrants.  Anyway, The A-H Sprite is
a very basic car and quite reliable as a result.  But, as with any 37 year
old car certain things should be attended to. To wit: brakes, suspension
and fuel system.  Unless these have been renewed recently I would recommend
rebuilding these systems before putting the car on the road with any driver
who is not familiar with things mechanical, regardless of age.

And kudos to you and your family on opening up your home and hearts to this
young person.  Best of luck.

Dave Massey