Spitfire Head Gasket

To: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Head Gasket
From: Justin Paxton <justin@Bexel.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:14:23 -0800
Don't know what I'd do without the seemingly limitless combined knowledge
here, so I tap into it once again.  I have water spiting out the exhaust of
my 76 Spitfire, and am told it's more than likely the head gasket.  Don't
even want to consider the cracked block scenario and am not sure if you can
isolate the cause between the two possible problems anyway.  Therefore I am
changing the head gasket and need your advice and counsel.  Things to do, be
careful of, spooge or no spooge on the gasket itself, what kind of spooge
should I choose to slather some on the gasket, what to look for once I get
the sucker off to confirm the head gasket was indeed the cause, what to do
with the head while I have it off and how to tell if it needs it (some
people say do something to the head, you should do something to the rings,
and I'm not sure I have the money or the time).  How is THAT for a bunch of
questions.  OK guys, bring it on.  You too Randall!
Cheers: JP