RE: parts solvent

Subject: RE: parts solvent
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:55:47 -0800 c a.us>
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paige, Dean wrote :

> Carbon Tet is far from benign. It has not been
> used in fire extinguishers since the 60's and for good reason as already
> noted.

Well, I _did_ say "as such things go".  Try taking a swig of battery acid,
or getting a good lungful of Freon after it's been exposed to hot copper
(making phosgene).  In fact, the stuff we put in the gasoline tank here in
California isn't a whole lot better.  Even the EPA, who mandated we put MTBE
in our gas, admits that it's probably a carcinogen (like many other
components of petrol), and is a serious hazard to the environment.  Their
standards for 'hazardous waste spill' indicate that MTBE is 10 times more
dangerous than Benzene ...

Randall