RE: parts solvent

Subject: RE: parts solvent
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:53:46 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Herald948@aol.com wrote :

> What about carbon tetrachloride as a solvent? As a kid, mom used
> to use it on my feet after we walked on the freshly tarred road
> in front of our house. Of course, that was BEFORE they banned
> carbon tet.! :-)

Actually, carbon-tet is completely non-flammable, it was actually used as a
fire extinguisher and worked quite well.  (It used to be packaged in glass
balls to be thrown at the fire.  Those balls are quite the collector's item
today.)

Although long term exposure can lead to problems, and I wouldn't want to
drink it, it's actually pretty benign as such things go.  Having your feet
washed in it is probably no worse for your health than drinking a 6-pack of
cheap beer.  IMO it was banned back before they realized that life is the
principal carcinogen.

Randall