Re: head shaving

To: jays@paonline.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: head shaving
From: Keith Ehrlich <kehrlich@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:29:45 -0500
"Jay Snavely" <jays@paonline.com> wrote:

On my 74 TR6 that is.  I am having the engine rebuilt and am thinking if
should get the head shaved. It was original when the rebuild started.  I
was
told that when you shave these heads, you remove an offset that was
meant to
help retain/seal the head gasket.  Is this true, and is anything done to

compensate for this when it is milled off?  Also, how much can be
removed
and still use the stock push rods? Can stock push rods be machined
shorter?

Jay
74TR6

Hi Jay-

I did the head on my 74 TR6 last year ( actually I bought a shaved head
already done form British Parts Northwest: bpnorthwest.com). My original
head did not have any offset that I could see that held the headgasket (
of course the PO may have milled it also). The shave one has had no
problems yet with headgasket.

Mine was shaved to around a 9.5 compression and definitely needed the
shorter rods. As for the pushrods, you can buy shorter rods from BPNW or
others as well.They can pretty much tell you at what amount of milling
you would need the shorter rods.  I recall paying something like $35 for
a set of standard steel. Cheap considering what you are paying to
rebuild your engine. You can also get hollow alloy upgrades for more $$.

If you plan to repace the rods, you probably should replace the cam
followers too.

IMHO you won't get the most from a shaved head without a hotter cam.

Keith
74 TR6