Re: Newbie

To: Dale Neidhammer <dneid@siliconmetrics.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:21:19 -0700
Dale Neidhammer wrote:

> 1.  Spitfire or TR6?  I realize this is probably more of a "religious"
>question.  My frame of
> reference is wrt to parts availability.

My first car was a '76 TR6, but I don't have the much of a nostalgic
connection -- since it was in the early '90s and I was 25 or so. ;-)
Still, I was looking at cheap Spitfires and MGBs, but when I asked
one Spit owner why he was selling he said "I want the incredible
raw power of the six cylinder TR6." Something like that. ;-) Anyway
not knowing anything about cars, I thought "well, then that's what
I want too!" Unfortunately, with the kind of money I had at the time,
I could only afford a TR6 in boxes. I sure enjoyed playing with
those parts. Last year, I bought a TR4, having learned to tell the
difference. :-)

Which my wife greatly prefers over lots of boxes. Still, I like the
early TR6 before emissions, cleaner styling and... no hard to
find emissions parts. Parts availability is great for the TR6.

> 5.  Does anyone know of a Triumph organization in Austin?

Most Texas Triumphs are exported to Colorado or Minnesota,
I think. :-) Mine came from Houston last year. Seriously, I've
talked to a couple clubs before and after bringing the car back,
great people down there. Best of luck.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO