RotoFlex Suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RotoFlex Suspension
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:08:12 EST
List,

What a curiosity this is.....a rear suspension that transfers power to the
wheels through a rubber donut.

I'm familiar with the term but had never seen "it" until last week when I had
a chance to see "it" (assembled and dis-assembled) on a GT6+.  At first I
thought how clever it was to use a big rubber bushing donut to absorb changes
in axle torque and loads to the rear wheels but after I saw the results of
the rubber bushings delaminating from their metal washers, etc, I began to
wonder why Triumph did this......well, I'm guessing that money was at the
heart of the decision.

I have a few books that address Spitfire & GT6 history but thought I'd ask
the forum that question....."Why did Triumph use rotoflex in lieu of perhaps
a sway bar/swing axle Spit suspension or even an IRS setup?"

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (chassis finished - working on body & engine)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (tucked away for a long winter's nap)