Re: was prothane bushings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: was prothane bushings
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:57:58 +0100
From:                   "Wendy Hart" <hartw@PLASTEKGROUP.COM>
To:                     <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Date sent:              Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:55:49 -0500
Send reply to:          "Wendy Hart" <hartw@PLASTEKGROUP.COM>

Has anyone had any quality problems with other brands of polyurethane
bushings? What about the ones sold by British Parts Northwest?

I will be rebuilding the rear suspension of my TR6 this winter and could use
the advice of those who have BTDT.

Thanks in Advance,
Wendy Hart
Hi Wendy,
I did rebuilt My TR6 with SUPER FLEX Polyurethane bushes all
around a few years ago,and I'm very happy with them. This bushes
are available for all suspension/steering  parts and for almost all
cars.I mounted them with copper grease and over the years in use
they make no sound.Properly lubricated with copper grease you
can insert them in seconds between vice claws.To prevent the
bushes to tilt when pressing them in the wishbone eye first insert a
large bolt fitted with a washer in the bush (a little and shorter than
the bus itself) to serve as a guide.The bush will slide now into the
eye without any problem.
To remove the old rubber bushes from the trailing arms may face
you with a dilemma, they use to sit rock solid due to corrosion.The
best thing is to drill them out.Use a small 5mm drill +- 0.15 inch
and drill holes into the rubber bush around the metal sleeve.Take
care not to drill in the light alloy. About 5 holes in the rubber part
will allow you to knock out the bush without damage to the trailing
arm.
Regards
Jean R from Belgium
60 TR3A