Re: Brakes drop in TR4 autocross

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>, "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, "Steven Newell" <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes drop in TR4 autocross
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 06:47:46 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>

> What the heck is this?  Could the cornering force on the these
ridiculously
> UN-sticky tires possibly cause the front disks to push back enough to add
> all this extra brake travel?
>
> Seems hard to believe.  Neither I nor our picky tech inspector thought the
> wheel bearings were loose.
>
> Anybody recognize these symptoms?

Yes, many of us do. Those of us who regularly autocross and/or race pay
particular attention to the wheel bearings as well as the thickness of the
rotors. This gets worse when the rotors get a little thin. There is also
some flex in the front spindle that contributes to this. Kas Kastner also
told us that making sure that the pads themselves are absolutely flat
improves this situation as well, and that he used to true the pads before
every race on the cars he prepared. It is not uncommon for several of us to
give a light tap on the brake pedal on a straightaway after a hard corner to
help assure us the brakes will be there when we need them.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U with A type o/d since 1983
TR4 VSDCA Group 2 #58 (Look for me near the back of the pack)
Highland Park, IL