Re: TR4 Clutch Choices?

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Clutch Choices?
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 07:10:26 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> Hello List,
> Are there any strong opinions one way or the other regarding the Moss clutch
> choices for a TR4 (&4A)?
>
> There are quite a few clutch choices;
>  standard  TR4 Kit is  $234
>  standard TR4-A Kit is  $140.
> 'heavy-duty' TR4-A Kit is $300.
>
> The pressure plate I have now has very low miles (standard TR4 coil spring
> type) and my plan was to clean up the surfaces of flywheel and pressure plate
> and put in new friction disc for $80.
> Now wondering if the 'snappier action' (half the foot travel to disengage) of
> the TR4-A clutch is worth the expense to change up. (pressure plate, friction
> disc, throw-out bearing and bearing sleeve)
>
> And if the TR4-A clutch was better why did they have to develop a 'heavy
> duty' version (offered at double the cost)?
>
> Is the standard TR4 clutch more rugged/reliable than the standard TR4-A
> clutch?
>
> Horsepower when I am done will be slightly up - maybe 110 if all goes well.
> And I'm installing the overdrive unit (adding more weight to the spinning
> drive train).
> Not thinking of racing the car - well .. maybe years down the road  :-)
>
> Any thoughts on choice of clutch for a slightly upgraded 'sports-driver' ?
>
> Carl Sereda
> '63 TR4 since '74

The standard TR4 pressure plate is actuated by fingers, while the TR4A clutch is
actuated by a diaphragm spring.

TR4 clutches work just fine and have a long life in street cars.

TR4A clutches are preferred for racing, but the pressure plate is a different
diameter, so you must re-drill the flywheel or get a TR4A flywheel. Also, to
make
this conversion, you must use the TR4A or TR6 throwout bearing and bearing
carrier, and you must shorten the snout on thetransmission to avoid fouling the
diaphragm and damaging it.

I do not know the difference between the standard and heavy duty TR4A clutch
sets, so maybe another lister can shed some light on that.

If I had a street TR3, I would not bother with any of these changes.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and being rebuilt