Re: Moss quality

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@tcd.ie>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Moss quality
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 00 08:37:09 -0700
>This is not the first time I have been really disheartened by
>Moss and their product. They really do seem to go for the "Price over
>Quality" method of manufacturing. I for one would be more than
>willing to pay the extra for a part that is worthy of the time and
>effort I am putting into my project.

That is a problem I have always had with Moss.  File to fit seems to be
acceptable with them.  I have personally voiced my concerns to them
numerous times & it just seems to be shrugged off by saying something
like if they spent the money to have high quality parts no one would buy
them.

I think us customers must take on a lot of the blame for shoddy parts.
We search out the cheapest price from among several dealers, often
waiting for big sales on those before we buy them.

I think we assume the parts all meet the same "factory standard" and
price is the only difference.

If one company has a part for a little more than his competition his
inventory sits on the shelf tying up money he might use in more parts
while the company with the cheaper parts gathers lots of purchases.

What this causes is every company trying to cut costs in order to offer
us parts that we will buy.  Who needs precision machining or triple
chroming when everyone rushes to buy the cheaper made stuff and the good
stuff sits on the shelves unsold??

One approach I have been trying to get Moss to think about is a dual
product line approach (as if they had the funds to stock a dual
inventory).

My idea is to have a "value line" of products and a "concourse line" of
products.  The value line would continue to be the cheaply made &
finished stuff their customers actually purchase today.  The custom line
would be high quality parts finished to high standards and priced
accordingly.  This would give the customer a clear choice.

Some of us will pay more for a part that will function properly and last.
 Others will not.

Remember the dealers carry what sells and the customer deturmines what
sells

TeriAnn
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.