RE: seat springs

To: "'Mark Gendron'" <mgendron@speakeasy.org>
Subject: RE: seat springs
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 12:44:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark - I used the replacement springs from Victoria British and found them
to be quite different from the original. (I'm not sure if they are the same
ones from TRF/Moss)  Much larger/thicker coils and a little different
construction.  They "sat" ok; maybe a little stiffer but I am not sure
because I haven't sat on any other nearly new or newly rebuilt TR seat since
1964 - and memory fades in that amount of time :^)  The upholstery shop that
I used to rebuild the set that went with the '58 said that the olderstyle
would be better in the long run even though the springs were 35+ years old.
(As long as the springs were intact) So the '58 got the new springs from VB
and I have the old set waiting in the wings...

I think that there is only one replacement available, so probably the
difference in appearance between covered old and new seat cases would be
minimal.  Especially if you are able to find older spring sets.

Carl