76 TR6 Anti Run On Valve

To: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Subject: 76 TR6 Anti Run On Valve
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 17:14:18 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Blake Discher
>The small hose connector of the Anti-Run-On valve which connects that
valve
to (what I believe to be) the inlet manifold has broken off (from the
ARV).  Consequently the hose is dangling and 'sucking air'.  If I put my
finger over the end of the hose (where it should connect to the ARV), the
engine idles smoother.  Here is my question:  is the Anti-Run-On valve
really needed (other than to satisfy Uncle Sam during the 70's emissions
insanity) or can I just cap the hose off? This would leave the opening to
the ARV (still in place) open.  Any dangers to leaving things as they
are?  Or should I replace the ARV?

<

Blake,

The function of the anti run on valve is to apply a partial vacuum to the
float chamber of the carbs when you switch off the engine.  This vacuum
sucks the petrol away from the jets starving the engine of gasoline and
thus preventing dieseling.  It's interesting that they added this to the
low compression cars when the high compression cars are the ones that need
it!  Feel free to plug it up but if the car has a tendency to diesel you
may consider reactivating it.

Dave

P.S. I've seen plenty of these valves with this port broken off.