Re: Brake binding problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake binding problem
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 19:06:35 -0700
The relative position of this valve wrt the other components in the
brake system is of no importance.  They all "see" the same pressure.

"Pressure exerted on an enclosed liquid is transmitted equally to every
 part of the liquid and to the walls of the container." (Pascal's
principle)

I suppose one could argue that LBC and "enclosed liquid" are mutually
exclusive concepts, but that's another topic.

randallyoung@earthlink.net wrote:

> Richard:
>
> You are right about the 'residual pressure' valve, it's stated purpose
> is to keep the pads from being pushed too far from the rotors.  Not all
> cars have it.
>
> However, it comes after the brake light switch in the hydraulic path, so
> the fact he found the brake lights were staying on implies the problem
> is closer to the MC.
>
> Randall
>
> RTriplett@bjservices.com wrote:
> >
> > Roger, there is a valve assembly consisting of a spring and piston on the
> > front disc brakes.  I think it is designed to hold a little pressure while
> > stopped, or maybe to equalize the front and rear brakes.  What happens is
> > the valve doesn't release and the front brakes stick.  Anyway, just remove
> > the spring and that will fix the sticking problem.
[...]

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)