TR-3A pinion oil seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3A pinion oil seal
From: Scott Weldin <sweldin@ups.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:15:43 -0700
I'm new to the list and have found the reading delightful. My 1958 TR-3A
has been garaged for over 10 years. It was running when put away, but (big
surprise) a number of things have deteriorated since then. Most obvious is
that the rear axle oil has leaked out. Replacement of the rear cover gasket
presents no real problems, but the pinion oil seal looks like a nasty
project. Is it possible to pull the pinion flange and remove/replace the
oil seal without disassembling the entire axle? I assume that the seal has
dried out from lack of use. Is there a product that will soften or
recondition the seal without replacing it? Any help would be much
appreciated.

Scott Weldin
1958 TR-3A