Re: cross-pond info flow

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Subject: Re: cross-pond info flow
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:13:59 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Leon Guyot" <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Terrick wrote to Jonmac and Leon Guyot

>To you two:
>Please go to neutral corners and.....  seriously.......

>John,
>I appreciate your position.  You have a most difficult job in the present
>time with all this stuff going on.  Any help you can get in keeping the
>flames down is likely to benefit us all.  Wot would the "jerries" thing
>about us not being able to keep our own troops in rank?
>
>Leon:
>
>I have very much appreciated reading stories of what is going on.  Many, it
>seems, are copies of print media commonly available.  Thank you for keeping
>us "informed".
>
>To both:
>
>Please work "together" on this one.  I was surprised, for example, to learn
>that TR is #3 - bad right?  Not if there are 12 represented in BMHIT - a
>fact I was not aware of, and I think that was one of jonmac's points.  We,
>across the pond, rely largely on our few "identified" UK listers to keep us
>in touch.  I'm sure many others appreciate the updates, but realise that
>they likely view them more like I do than either of you.  (and, before you
>give me mine,  I know that you have the same problem with "our" vendor
>bashing - and I don't like this either, but at least I understand the
>situation, being much closer to the USA than you are!).
>Both of you are among the few reasons that I continue to subscribe to the
>lists.  Please play nice;  I cannot help but think that if you co-ordinated
>your efforts on this front that we would ALL benefit immensely.

I would like to publicly and unconditionally apologise to all listers and Leon
if my post
came over as rude or abrasive. I should have vented my feelings to the keyboard
and then
slept on it - but failed to do so.
I have watched various posts on the Rover issue over the last few weeks and
have been
tempted on many occasions to put in a comment - but have resisted. This is for
the simple
reason that I am concerned some might see my opinions as an *unofficial*
response on
Gaydon's behalf and I am in no way authorised or qualified to fulfil that role.
All I would say is that in the midst of the perhaps understandable confusion
and disarray
in the minds of general public and enthusiast alike, Gaydon and it's future has
been the
subject of many outrageous and totally inaccurate opinions expressed by the
general public
visiting the Centre over the last ten days. Everyone claims to know someone who
knows
someone else and such and such. Because they are so totally convinced of the
accuracy of
these opinions or stories, it is a very hard job to dissuade them that the
reality could
well be something else. Only yesterday, I was accused by some pompous prat of
conniving
with Munich to hide the reality of his own much vaunted claim and was then
stated to be
"tarred with the same brush as those b****y unions and out to sell off the
vehicle and
archive collection to offset Rover losses before the rest of the world could
jump in to
the rescue."
The bottom line as things presently stand, is for ALL enthusiasts, regardless
of their
marque loyalties, to stay calm and not worry about whether they feel they are
well
represented at Gaydon - or not. Leon's entirely understandable concerns are
multiplied in
enthusiast terms by the number of makes at Gaydon. Everyone seems to be
thinking that they
are going to be the losers with all the others being winners. Those of us who
are
fortunate enough to work there are presently having one helluva job to keep
things calm
and to allay very real fears which I personally feel live only in the minds of
people and
are by no means a reality. Stick with it guys - we're doing all we can to bring
your
preferred make (whatever it is) out of the tunnel of confusion and doubt which
now appears
to surround it. I think that any doubts anyone may have are best left off list
because
voicing them only creates further concern in the minds of too many - and does
absolutely
nothing in return for my blood pressure!

Jonmac