Re: Q's

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: Q's
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 08:54:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim :

Unless your engine is freshly rebuilt (and usually even then), you can
just grab a crank throw and turn the crank by hand.  The steel fan also
makes a good handle, as does the flywheel if you don't have a tranny in
the way <g>.  If you don't have the plugs out, you'll have to turn a
little bit, then wait for the compression to bleed down, then turn
again. (Take the plugs out !)

There should already be a TDC mark, in the form of a hole through the
rear flange of the crank pulley and a pointer on the timing cover, but
they have been known to be inaccurate or missing.

If the distributor hasn't been disturbed, easiest way to look for
compression on #1 is to pull the cap and look for the rotor to point
towards the #1 terminal.  Otherwise, you can pull the rocker cover, and
look for the exhaust valve on #4 to close as you come up on TDC #1
compression. (If you have the rocker cover with the oil fill at the
rear, you may be able to see the valve through the hole.) (As #1 makes
it's compression stroke, #4 makes it's exhaust stroke.)  If you've got
the head off, you can look down the #8 lifter bore.  Or, you can pull
the timing cover and look for the cam timing mark to point towards the
crank.

Randall
59 TR3A