RE: how do you remove crankshaft nut?

To: "'Dan Carey'" <appleorchard@prodigy.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: how do you remove crankshaft nut?
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:43:20 +0100 charset="iso-8859-1"
> Need to replace front oil seal..leaks..any way to get that
> #4% nut off?
> tried wrench wd40 etc..no luckl

I had to replace the front oil seal on the wife's Dolomite 1500 last year.
Even with the car in gear and the wife inside with her foot on the brake
pedal, I could turn the engine (and move the car!) by heaving on the crank
nut. In the end, I disconnected the LT lead to the coil, used a hefty
breaker bar and socket on the crank nut, with the bar jammed against the
chassis, and turned the engine over on the starter motor. The nut came
undone quickly in my case, but I would make sure not to strain the starter
motor if there is no instant give - no point burning out anything
electrical.
        Hope this helps,
                Bill Davies.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup