Expedition outfitting: summary (long)

Subject: Expedition outfitting: summary (long)
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:06:13 -0700
Here's a compilation of the responses to my request asking for
"emergency equipment" to take along while retrieving a "new"
TR4 from Houston back to Denver. Thanks to Michael Marr,
Sherman Taffel, Bob Westerdale, Jim Altman, Brian Kemp,
Randall, and Fred Thomas and any others who contributed in
some way. I'm going to take *some* of this with me, though
I'll need a bigger toolbag.

STANDARD EQUIPMENT:
Cell phone
AAA card

TOOLKIT:
jack / wooden board(s)
"Tire-flate"* or "fix-a-flat"* (or air pump)
tire pressure gauge
reflectors (or road flares*)
jumper cables
wrenchs: SAE combo set, 3/8" socket set w/ plug socket
screwdrivers: flat, Phillips
pliers: long nose, arc joint, wide jaw
knockoff hammer (or hammer)
Swiss army knife
flashlight(s)
duct tape, electrical tape
zip-ties (ty-raps) / bungies / baling wire
cleanup: shop rags, baby wipes (or hand cleaner), old shirt,
garbage bag
fliuds: engine oil, tranny oil, brake fluif, water
(distilled), WD-40*
electrical: multimeter, clip leads, wire, connectors, heat
shrink tubing
assorted hardware/hose clamps/cotter pins/clutch taper pin
brake bleed kit / clear hose to bleed brakes
SU carb tool kit, Stromberg adjusting tool

SPARES:
electric fuel pump and connectors
points, condensor, rotor, distributor cap, ballast resistor
oil filter, extra seal(s) if no spin-on adaptor
fan belt
hoses: heater, vacuum, fuel, radiator
fuses
turn signal/tail light bulbs
U-joint
spark plugs / longest plug wire

SAFETY/SHELTER:
fire extinguisher*
big blanket
first aid kit
list of VTR regional clubs
owners manual
sunscreen

BONUS ITEMS:
carb rebuild kit
air flow meter to sync carbs
timing light*
old brake/clutch rebuild kits
magnetic bowl to hold metal parts
Whitworth open end wrench set (if applicable)
wiper blades
oil drain plug
towrope
enlarged schematic and wiring diagram

note: if you don't have wire wheels, add spare lug nuts and
tire iron

*don't take things that could explode, or that look like guns,
on an airplane to pick up an LBC

--

Steven Newell
Crave Technology, Denver, CO