Re: electric fan conversion TR4

Subject: Re: electric fan conversion TR4
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:33:38 -0800
Cc: triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

If you look closely, I believe you'll find that the piece that extends
outward and carries the fan, comes apart from the pulley and inner hub.
If you undo the six bolts that hold the various pieces together, then
put it back together with shorter bolts and without the fan extension,
the only other things you need are a flat washer and suitable bolt for
the end of the crank.  ISTR I used a 1.5" 5/8-18 bolt, but I'm not
sure.  If the hub does not extend past the end of the crank (mine
didn't, but I believe the hub was worn), you may need to get a spacer
made to go over the crank nose.  I made one myself from a galvanized
pipe cap.

Oh, and you probably should use new nyloc nuts on the six bolts that
hold the pulley halves to the hub.  There's a lot of vibration there,
and it'd be unpleasant to have them come apart.

There's probably a good place nearer you, but I buy my hardware
(including nylocs and the 5/8-18 bolts) at Cal-Aero Surplus in
Paramount.  They have a lot of this stuff, new, at $2/pound.  They also
sometimes have the reamers for the outer A-arms, etc. at $4/pound
(used).

Randall