Re: $21,500 TR6 at auction

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: $21,500 TR6 at auction
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:57:58 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Here's some evidence about how things are changing.  I've been looking
around the Seattle area for a relatively mint, later model TR6 steering
wheel at reasonable cost (I have a '72 car but I'm tall and need that
little extra room that the 14.5" wheel will give me).  I was directed to a
couple of wrecking yards that tend to specialize in British cars.  After
six months, I still don't have a wheel.  I found two or three in marginal
condition, but the owner of one of the yards told me this:  "Yeah, we used
to get fairly good TR6 parts cars, but anything we get now is rusted out,
with most of the good parts already gone.  Everyone is fixing them up these
days.  It's been rare to get anything decent in here in the last few years.

Get the picture?  I may have to buy a "new" wheel from Moss, whereas a few
years ago I might have easily found a used wheel locally.  I bought my TR6
in April of last year, and right now I feel like I got in on the ground
floor in terms of purchase price---not that it'll do me any good, since it
took me 9 months to find the one I wanted and I doubt I'll ever sell it.
The times they are a changin'.

Phil Haldeman