Overdrive compatablity...

To: "INTERNET:erl@unix.mail.Virginia.EDU" <erl@unix.mail.Virginia.EDU>
Subject: Overdrive compatablity...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:47:27 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
 James A. Ruffner writes:
(For those who might be interested, I have rebuilt a couple of these
things.  Not too difficult, but the most important trick is the alignment
of planetary gears in the outer ring, and then the alignment of the
central splines into which the trans output shaft must go!  This last
requires either an old OD trans output shaft, or something like it, much
like the pilot used to center a clutch driven-disk.)

Cheers
 James A. Ruffner

Aligning the two splines is fairly easy if you have a spare mainshaft.  The
tricky
part is keeping them aligned as you lower the O/D unit onto the
transmission
(as illistrated in the manual).  The problem is the clutch falls away from
the
cone clutch and the planet can rotate slightly dis-aligning the splines.
Of
course you don't realize it until you have all 8 springs in place and the
draw-up
nuts halfway home.

The trick I use is to assemble the transmission onto the O/D unit (upside
down).
Bolt the output flange to a board, align the splines and gravity will hold
the clutch
in the direct position and the splines will stay aligned!  Lower the
transmission
onto the O/D unit and away you go!

Works for me!

Dave