$21,500 for a TR6 - Who is the fool

To: "'jim_hill@chsra.wisc.edu'" <jim_hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: $21,500 for a TR6 - Who is the fool
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:10:41 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim:

I agree with your sentiments.  I looked at about a dozen or more TR6's a
little over a year ago.  Price ranges all over the place.  I knew what I
wanted, but more importantly I knew what I didn't want.  When I narrowed it
all down and did the numbers (although I have learned this list doesn't like
numbers), the less expensive cars were going to cost more than I wanted to
spend to get them where I wanted to be.

Right when I had given up looking, I was tipped off about a TR6 with 6,057
original miles.  The car was 100% original down to the tires.  While I paid
top dollar ($15,000), my problems have been few.  The only real problem I
have had was a bad master cylinder.  The rest has been preventative (hoses,
belts, etc.) and cosmetic (clean up, polish, etc.).

I had no interest in endless nights working on a rusted hulk, or incurring
large bills for outside work.  I have been declared impassionate about TR's
and a rank TR amateur by the list (see TRF dialogue), but for my money I
have a TR6 that has won 1st place in the two shows I attended and a car that
gave me a little over 3,000 miles of recreation.

I am not slamming those who wish to rework a car.  In a way I wish I had the
knowledge, time, money and guts to do it.  Different strokes for different
folks.

If that guy spent $21,500 on a turn key "perfect" car that he wanted, more
power to him.  I bought my TR6 because I always wanted one from my high
school/college days but couldn't afford one.  Now, $15,000 for exactly what
I want is a better deal than a 1999 comparable offering.  If I keep the car
10,20,30 years was the $15,000 the right price?

Truth is, if the TR6 market were to pick up, those who slam the guy would
benefit.

Can't wait to see who I offended (cause none was intended........).