RE: TR6 front tire scrub

To: "'djc.tr6'" <djc.tr6@gateway.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 front tire scrub
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 14:19:56 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
When rounding a tight turn, the L & R front tires must trace different paths
in order to make the turn-  the outer wheel follows a larger radius,  the
inner wheel a smaller radius.  In order to do this, the wheel alignment must
go to essentially a 'Toe-out" condition. I have heard this called " Ackerman
Steering", though I do not know the origin.  As with many mechanical
linkages, the steering is a bit of a compromise, and the wheels never really
trace exactly the right path.
If you are sure there was no damage or incorrect asssembly,  I would ignore
the tire scrub.  Besides, handbrake turns are more fun anyway.
B. Westerdale