TR 4, TR250, TR 6 transmission countershaft madness

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4, TR250, TR 6 transmission countershaft madness
From: "Janssen, Lee K" <lee.k.janssen@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 08:27:03 -0700
I recall reading a number of different approaches to solving the self
destruction of the countershaft / needle bearings / countershaft reverse and
first gear, as usual I forgot to save any of these threads to I'll just try
to summarize what I recall:

a) replacement of the open cage needle bearing with a bronze bushing,
b) replacement of the open cage needle bearing with a sleeve-type needle
bearing (from The Roadster Factory catalog),
c) in the words of Revington TR "additional bearing added to the lay gear,
lay gear drilled to act as oil pump for lay shaft, thrust washers replaced
with roller thrusts",
d) use of stock materials with the exception of the countershaft which is
replaced with a hardened steel rod (Rockwell 60?),'
e) use all stock materials and don't drive the car very often or very hard.

Let's ignore option e) because as Brad Kahler will tell you I always
identify the easy approach first and then ruthlessly avoid it!
Personally I like option c) because it sounds exotic, expensive and
Revington knows a lot about TRs. I'm sure I'll dream about it for a week or
two and then go with a combination of b) and d) instead.

Any comments from people who have been there and done that would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Lee Janssen
Sunny Denver CO