Re: State of the Triumphs List... What's the point?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: State of the Triumphs List... What's the point?
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:25:10 EDT
Here we go again...

Can't please all the people all of the time!

Is Henry complaining about all the biographies lately? How about all the VTR
reports? Before and after!  One poster lamented that once the convention was
over and all the list yahoos were back! That's you and me (and a few others),
Henry!

At least the biographies (at first I thought you all were talking about
computer BIOS's till I read a dozen or so) gave some insight as to who was
behind the name, why they knew or didn't know their stuff, etc.  I found
these more consistently interesting reading than what's been on the list in
years! And with the correct use of the Subject field, it's surely easy to
ignore or delete.  Similar to "test - delete" messages.  Wonder what the
scores of all these tests are??  We never have a "scores - read" message.

You can bet the same biographies won't come up on the list every year. Wanna
rehash Thrust washers (clunk) or Speed Bleeders (I love them) or Trunnion
grease/gear lube (grease) AGAIN (echo, echo, echo)?

How many listers have never looked inside the cover of a repair manual? It's
easier to post a message and try to get 50 opinions and take the easiest
reply. (One guy insisted that you can remove a Spitfire transmission
from/through underneath the car, no need to undo the tunnel!).

One poster once went into great detail to explain how, in no uncertain terms,
to install the thrust washers INCORRECTLY!! This type of posting has resulted
in  threatened lawsuits against mail list administrators!

How many times have you been tempted to post a solution only to hit the
delete key to avoid the resultant Spam it may cause?

My advise?  Everyone use the Subject line in your post, make it vaguely
related to Triumphs or interesting to Triumph owners (some have broader
interests than others, so you'll take some flak) and have fun. "If it's not
fun, why do it?" My Triumph Spitfire is fun, even when I'm working on it
(like in Portland, but that's another posting)!

Clark W. Nicholls, FOT
http://members.aol.com/cwnicholls