Mysterious "rear end" noise

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mysterious "rear end" noise
From: Jay Snavely <jays@paonline.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:11:30 -0400
Well, I have finally found the source of the noise in my 74 TR6.  There was a
tapping/clicking coming from both sides of the rear of the car , seems like
since I bought it several months ago.  I initially pulled off the trim rings
and centers to check for small stones,etc.  Nothing. Put them back on. I
removed both wheels and dug out all the stones from the tread.  Drove the car.
Still had the noises.  Rebuilt one hub.  Still had the noise.  No one seemed to
know what it was. Had an earlier posting about the problem.   Finally I pulled
off the trim rings again and DROVE the car.  The noise was gone.  The only
thing I can figure is that the flexing of the tire makes the valve stems strike
the edge of their hole in the trim ring.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Is
there another explanation?  Well, at least it won't cost me any more money!

Jay
74TR6,  face matching exterior now!