Re: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion

To: randallyoung@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Wire Wheel Conversion
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 01:59:42 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 07-Aug-99 01:46:16 Eastern Daylight Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> Yup.  Going the other way involves either new studs or new hubs (with
>  long studs).  One of the big advantages to the spacers ...

Randall, the wire wheel studs are shorter.  Hub adaptors are required for
wire wheels because the adaptors have splines which mate with the splines on
the wire wheel hubs.  The adaptors are closer to the hub assembly than the
disc wheels, hence shorter studs.

>  Actually, if you get the studs just the right length (so they just touch
>  the inside of the wire wheels when installed), you only loose about 2
>  threads when the disk wheels are installed.  This probably isn't safe
>  (you'll certainly never pass tech inspection at the track), but some are
>  done this way on my current car & I've never had a problem.  I don't
>  recommend it, tho, for obvious reasons.

Right, NOT recommended.  See my earlier posts to the list.  Cheers.

Art Kelly