RE: New repro parts available

To: Vito Pacione <vito@argohouston.com>
Subject: RE: New repro parts available
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 20:16:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Vito,

I don't know about those two clowns, but I'm glad to hear
someone who managed to get some shims.  I looked around
two years ago and couldn't find any, so I put a used rack in.

If you'll reconsider, I'll take a dozen of the .010 shims off your
hands.  Not much, I know, but that's a few bucks back in
your pocket from a grateful enthusiast.

At 04:56 PM 7/15/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Well, you can't get the .004's so that takes care of point # 1
>
>If you can cut .010 shim stock with scissors, you are a better man than I.
>(maybe you are anyway!)
>
>Thicker ones are even more difficult to cut accurately (for sure no way to
>cut out the I.D. with scissors. You would have to use a punch, but I think
>a hand punch would dull too fast (don't know for sure, though)
>

>I recieved two messages on this issue. One was from someone trying to get
>these done cheaper than .60 (if you can get them done for .30 - then you
>get to buy an extra pack of gum)
>
>The other was this one that is trying to figure out a way not to use the
>shims.
>
>All I was trying to do here is make some parts that I had a real hard time
>trying to find available to the rest of the list. I am not going to get
>rich on this, and it was never done to make money. It was done to fill my
>personal need, and I thought I would share. So much for that. I have
>decided not to sell them after all.
>

>At 02:32 PM 7/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Ok, guys. I'm going to let my ignorance of later cars show here :
>>
>>What is so special about these shims that you can't
>>1) use (5) .004s instead of (2) .010s ?
>>2) cut them from some .010" shim stock with scissors and gasket cutter ?
>>3) If it takes so many .010", why not cut some thicker ones ?
>>
>>Randall

>>> Listers: Anyone on the list involved with the Photo Etching industry? This
>>> is the type of part that could be made fast and cheap with the photo etch
>>> process.

Cliff Hansen