Revelations....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Revelations....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 00:47:20 -0600
Okay, heinous as it sounds, I bought a Nissan 300ZX (non-turbo) about
four months ago (because the price was great, and it had all the modern
amenities; air-conditioning--absolutely necessary for the middle-aged in
the southwest in summer--cruise control, advanced fuel injection, power
mirrors and windows, and lots of legroom), since I needed a car a bit
less damaging on my body and ears on those bi-weekly long trips than the
GT6. I finally got the clutch replaced in it this past weekend, and
registered it today.

Guess what? Despite giving up 40-45 hp, the GT6, with a 2.5 liter engine
and 3.89:1 rear end installed, is _quicker_, despite having 25,000 more
miles on it, and a really tired crank with severely scored journals. (!)
The 300ZX is actually quite a heavy car, with a dry weight of 3034 lbs.,
whereas the GT6 has a dry weight somewhere around 1980-2000 lbs, and,
moreover, handles a bit more nimbly than the Z-car, and has a decidedly
smaller turning radius. The GT6, with urethane bushings, jumps a bit on
bumps, but goes exactly where I point it, while the Z wallows a bit.
And, the GT6 lugs better at low rpm than the Z-car, probably because of
the overall weight and drive ratio difference.

After driving nothing but the GT6 for two years, the Z feels like a
decidedly bigger car... in size and feel, it reminds me a lot of early
`80s Supras... pushy and big feel, but not nearly as nimble as a
Triumph.

Nevertheless, the Japanese have a bit different philosophy of design
than the English. The transmission in this beast is almost four feet
long, and the differential is almost eighteen inches long. The reason
for this is obvious--for a given radial change due to bearing wear, the
change in shaft angularity is much smaller, and therefore, gear
alignment is less affected by bearing wear. It's a more expensive means
of manufacture, but sensible.

Take heart, guys, though--the Japs weren't right every time--and that
probably goes for Miatas, too.  <smile> The GT6 is more fun... on short
runs. <g> Thankfully, the Nissan gives me the opportunity to make a few
changes on the GT6... full engine rebuild, body repair, PI installation
and modification and possibly installation of a 5-speed. Hey, with a bit
more insulation and correction of the bad 2.5 liter installation, the
GT6 may become the daily driver once again.... (!)

Cheers, all.