Re: Bonnet Release

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonnet Release
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 22:36:04 EDT
In a message dated 6/23/99 8:24:57 PM EST, 105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

<< Why didn't you use a windshield wiper motor.  I'll bet you have one lying
 around there somewhere.  A simple start button and one revolution and
 it automatically stops at home!  A short piece of cable and your done! >>

Dave,

I didn't because:

I didn't think about it, but now that I have:

The stroke is too long without modifications or rigging up some leveraging
mechanism.

Mounting it would be a lot harder than a solenoid, which is much smaller.

A working ww motor is more valuable than a solenoid.

 << OTH, you could get out the hotrod mags and look up an hydraulic hood
 raising mechanism and really wow 'em.>>

Believe me, I have thought about that. The catalog that came with the
solenoids has several listed. Hmmmm.  Don't tempt me!

One thing I've often thought of doing with a large sedan, using the
mechanisms you mentioned: I've thought about putting a very realistic looking
fake machine gun in the trunk, mounted trasnversley. I wanted to rig it so
when I press a button, the trunk s-l-o-w-l-y opens, the machine gun
s-l-o-w-l-y raises up out of the trunk, and s-l-o-w-l-y rotates to point to
the rear. I figure by the time the gun gets about half way around, my
tailgater problem would be over.

BTW, the catalog also had another item of much interest -- SPDT 12V latching
relays! Expensive, but......Think of all the things you could do with one. Up
till now, the only latching relays I could find were 120Vac or 125Vdc, and
VERY expensive.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA