TR2-4A Aluminium Alloy Heads...

To: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR2-4A Aluminium Alloy Heads...
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:16:20 +0100
Friends,
I just received my Feb '99 issue of Moss Marques magazine...
In it they state [on page 33] that they will be offering brand
new alloy [and cast iron] cylinder heads for the wet liner engine
in April, or sooner. I thought this might be of interest to some
of You...

So FYI, quoted from the text:

"If you are considering major surgery on your current TR2-4A cylinder
head in readiness for the spring then allow us to put a few ideas
under your nose to help you get the best from your car. Your previous
choices would have been to recondition the old head or find a better
second-hand unit. The real problem here is that you don't know, until
you start cutting seats or polishing chambers and ports, just how good
the old core unit is. Put bluntly, it could cost a small fortune to
find out at the end of your modifications that there is hole, crack or
even chamber collapse. You could spend £500 and only end up with a
scrap head!

For the first time in 30 years you no longer have to face this
dilemma!

The cylinder head shown is the very first casting of the exciting
all-new 4 cylinder TR head prior to machining. What's exciting and
special is that this head is made for the first time ever in LIGHT
ALLOY, weighing in at a mere 7kg or so. It is also available in
cast-iron too. Both variants are lead-free, standard compression ratio
and fitted with cast-iron valve guides. These heads are brand-new
items not recon or old stock. Known weakpoints such as the exhaust
valve & combustion chamber area have been strengthened. In addition,
some waterways have been eliminated which normally cause sealing
problems in large bore engines.

Also available to special order will be a part-machined head in either
material and EXCLUDING valve guides and seats, for those willing to
modify to their own competition use specifications.

TriumphTune versions will be available at a future date to complement
the range available.

These cylinder heads represent a firm commitment from Moss
International to ensure the continued use of the early TRs by their
owners. Tooling and development costs were substantial but ultimately
we believe they are worthwhile.

IRON CYLINDER HEAD less valves & springs. 511695
ALLOY CYLINDER HEAD less valves & springs. 511695A
IRON CYLINDER HEAD with valves & springs. 514748
ALLOY CYLINDER HEAD with valves & springs. 514748A
IRON PART-MACHINED HEAD BARE 511695X
ALLOY PART-MACHINED HEAD BARE 511695AX

WE are unable to give accurate prices at the time of going to press
but don't worry they won't cost you a king's ransom. We expect prices
to start from £500 which is comparable with reconditioning an old
unit. We don't even want a surcharge from you.

To reserve your cylinder head call the Moss London Sales Team on 0181
867 2020 and you will be advised on availability and price for the
version required."

End quote.

This is just for your information - I have no interest whatsoever
in this product or the firm itself, but maybe it could be seen as
a sign of what's coming in this business... Maybe soon they will
be doing six cylinder casts and 1147/1296/1493 fours in alloy also?
Let's hope so.
Regards
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,