TR2/3 lower suspension fulcrum pin

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR2/3 lower suspension fulcrum pin
From: "Mark Gendron" <mister_toad@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:02:56 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
On the TR2/3 front suspension, the lower inner fulcrum pin is welded into
the frame.
On my TR2, the bearing surfaces of this pin are very rusted and pitted. This
is the
result of the rubber bushings that the TR2 used where the lower suspension
arms
attach to the frame. The rubber bearings obviously allowed water in.

It seems that I have three options here:

1. Rebuild the suspension with rubber bushings, leaving pin as is.
2. Rebuild with later-style steel and nylon bushings, leaving pin as is.
3. Same as #2, but replace the pin.

The trouble with #2 is that the steel bushing rotates quite freely on the
rusted
pin, so this is likely to become the new "bearing" surface on my suspension.
Of course, the desired result is for the steel bushing to stay in place and
the
nylon bushing to rotate around it.

Replacing the pin is obviously a big job, since the old welds must be ground
away and the new pin welded very accurately in place to preserve the correct
suspension geometry.

Has anyone here ever done this job? Thoughts?