RE: Steering column rebuild

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering column rebuild
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:19:41 -0800
Great description, Brian.

I'd like to add .02 worth.

Removing the old bushings can be simplified by carefully cutting them
lengthwise with a hack saw blade. They can then be more easily
collapsed, as you describe.

While the steering column is out, check the mounting point at the
firewall. This is another weak point in the assembly. Even if it's still
in good shape, may be worth beefing up. See www.vtr.org maintenance
section article on steering columns.

You may consider having the steering column and the switch covers powder
coated with semi-gloss black, while they are all apart. I didn't. A
friend of mine did. His look great compared to my freshly painted one
which is oh so easily scratched.

Finally, when you reinstall the column, be sure to put some kind of
relatively thick washer, I used a nylon one, at the bottom end of the
column, where the adjuster comes up against it. That metal cap on the
end is pretty thin and can be worn thru very easily otherwise.

One more thing, while it's removed to this job, I recommend checking the
lower steering column universal joints. Mine looked only moderately
worn, but  actually fell apart when I removed the bolts. The rubber was
so hard it was probably putting extra sideways stress on the whole
column. It's an easy rebuild, too.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L