SQUAWK AND MORE

To: arthurhsmith@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: SQUAWK AND MORE
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 16:34:10 EST
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 08:34:47 -0500
"Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Wrote: SQUAWK AND MORE

<loved all that squawk stuff, but then that's oz humour for you!>

THEN THERE WAS THIS FROM THE LIST

Last Saturday's Financial Times (30 January) carries the sad tale of a
Series III XJ receiving half a dozen eggs in the radiator as an emergency
head gasket repair while en route to a second hand dealer in Streatham
(UK). The driver got £100 for it (caveat emptor if you are currently being
offered a cheap SIII by a South London car dealer). The article doesn't say
whether the eggs were free range or battery.

The arthur
kit car aka 69 GT6
garage ornament aka 82 Jag
boxy thing on wheels aka ford aerostar

HI Arthur,
I live in Wimbledon, SW London, which is about 6 miles from Streatham,
All I can say is that anyone who buys an unbelievably cheap SIII Jaguar from
anyone in Streatham or other local areas gets exactly what they deserve!!!
It's just that kind of an area, but then again, where isn't ?

nb.Our beloved 'car-hating' government is (rumour has it) just about to impose
punitive annual taxation on vehicles with engines larger in capacity than
2-Litres

I have heard that a friend is having to sell his TR7-V8 simply because he will
not be able to afford the rumoured 700 GBP road tax on the 3500cc engine.

That looks a lot like 200 GBP/litre to me!
I seem to recall that they are proposing to inflict a new stepped-road tax-
rate on us from the date of the next budget on Tuesday 9 March 99.

Cars with engines of 2 Litres apparently will suffer a tax of 200 GBP/annum.
(That's petrol or diesel powered, BTW)

Vehicles built before 1 Jan 1973 are exempt from road tax, and apparently will
remain so,(for now!).
There was a 25 year rolling exemption, but Tony Blair put a stop to that when
he got into power, rumour has it that he always opposed the exemption in the
first place, but when he realised that he couldn't stop it, then tried to make
it 35 years instead!

(His own family vehicle is a Ford Galaxy BTW)

Wondering where it will all end.
We already have the most expensive new cars in the world
and the most expensive petrol in the world,
speed cameras, less and less parking with more and more restrictions,
vehicle clamping and removal with huge fines and penalties
Humps in the road and soon road pricing and tolls everywhere!

Forlorn Vitesse, which may not run for long on unleaded.
It only did 700 miles last year because it never stopped raining,still hasn't
stopped!
GT6 coming soon, LHS and unleaded so I can drive it all over Europe!!!
(both happily exempt from road tax and from our beloved government)

Leon
(fed up)
ps.I am researching the GT6+ at the moment, please let me know your cars'
commission number, and does it have the long cowling with the reverse lamp
above the rear licence plate, or just the small licence plate lamp ?
thanks