Re: Kit CarZ

To: peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Kit CarZ
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:50:41 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Finally - a message thread not about - oh, nevermind. I might start another
thread about those topics...

Kit cars are a topic near and dear to my heart. As with any "collector
car", if you do decide to buy one, make sure that you're going to like the
finished product - 'cause it will not be easy to sell it.

This rule is not 100% cast in stone, but the nature of the market is that
there's a lot of marginal players out there, and the cars can be tough to
register - particularly if you don't document things completely.

That having been said, the reason there are so many AC Cobra kit cars is
that some are pretty easy to build and others are really fanatical in
detail. Price is a function of completeness, so a fanitically complete car
will cost $$$$$$. I talked to a guy at Lime Rock in '97. He thought the
$45k he paid for his ERA was "worth it". I agree. Nice car. Not with my
money, though.

Now, being a British car nut (certified, I might add), the appeal of using
the underpinnings of a Triumph is almost too hard to resist. The result:
how about an Ambro knock off on a TR3 frame??? Looks like a Lister or
Birdcage Masarati but has the - errr - practicality of a good ol' Triumph.
Wow!

Either way, forget about ever selling the car or recouperating your
expenses if you want/need to sell the car.

So, want to build a "vintage racer".

BTW, if you want a "real Ambro", I'll bet they show up for sale from time
to time. Rumor has it that Bill Ames built about 60 of those cars. The
rumor was told to me by Bill Ames... sounds like a good source of that
info. Also, there's a company in Oklahoma City, OK that will make you a
brand new Ambro body for relatively cheap...

Regards,
rml
TR6's and Ambro Lover