Starter rebuilds

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starter rebuilds
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:46:34 -0800 (PST)
All this starter talk has engaged the bendix gear in my head...

I have a slow-cranking starter.  On cold mornings I can't get the car to
fire (unless I drove it day previous; not exactly a terrible thing).  I
have a feeling that the starter is consuming waaay too much power trying
to do something the wrong way.

I 've already cleaned all the wires to and from starter (and I'd like to
install a better ground strap... but anyway)

Perusing the VB catalog turns up a few "expendables" that I'd like to
replace as a matter of course.
  Brush Springs - $7.95 a set or $7.95 each?
  Brush Set - OE or Repro?  How can I tell if my starter is 2M100 or
     M48G?  (or whatever?)

Can I do the service with the starter in situ or should I pull it out?
I'm dreading having to pull it out; don't want to drop anything nasty down
into the transmission thru the gaping hole it leaves...

[I suspect I will be pulling the starter anyway...]

And lastly, are there any bearings / bushings / thrust washers within the
starter motor that need attention or replacement?

thanks in advance,
-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm