Re: New Piggott Book

To: John Richardson <johnr@intellicorp.com>
Subject: Re: New Piggott Book
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:10:14 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, John Richardson wrote:

> Lets see, now that I have already purchased the first Piggot book on the
> whole TR line, he has come out with a new book more closely tailored to my
> interests, namely the TR4A.  Do you suppose if I buy this book that he will
> put one out covering just TR4's and 4A's, and after that one covering just
> TR4A's?
>
> O.K., I'm not that bitter, but probably that cynical.

So you won't be buying his forthcoming 212-page "Original Aluminium-
Bonneted Very Early Geranium, Ice Blue or Olive Yellow TR2s" or "Original
Velasquez Cream-painted AND Goodyear Grand Prix-tire-equipped Early TR4s"
(hi, Brad!) books? ;-)

Seriously, I don't mind seeing such more detailed and focused books
published when there is sufficient new or previously unpublished
information avalable to warrant such a book. Sadly, I see all too many
automotive (and other) reference works that are little more than
rearrangements of works with little new to justify the publication of an
entire new work. In the old days, errata sheets or supplements might have
been issued. Perhaps in the future the authors will upload additions and
corrections to their Web sites.

Cynic that I am, I find it far more frustrating when a work with obvious
and glaring errors and omissions is NOT updated. I'm not implying that
Piggott's earlier works fall into that category, but there are some
Triumph references out there that do.

Coward that I am, I won't name them publicly. :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *