Re: gas/oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: gas/oil
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 20:02:30 GMT
Fred writes...

>Listers, give this some thought on this recent posting of gas in the oil.
>Always maintained 60psi oil pressure, overhauled the carbs. and not doing
>the job correctley, adjusted them very,very rich, I now have 15 psi at
>idle. For 15 years the psi has been 60, then what does a carb O/H have to
>do with psi except diluted oil,now loaded with gas. The engine does not
>go out just like that with no prior warning or signs of a problem, if you
>had 60 psi before then you should still have it afterwards, change the
>oil, & filter, make sure the carbs are correct and I bet its still 60psi
>when you start it again, this to my way of thinking is not a blown engine
>or a panick ready to blow engine, just go back to where you were before
>you diluted the oil with gas. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Gasoline is a pretty good solvent.  I suppose that it could have
"cleaned out" some previously constricted oil passages and changed the
OP readings while not actually doing damage in itself.

OTOH,  I had a friend with a Chrysler V-8 that had a fuel pump seal
rupture, unbeknownst to him.  The crankcase had been filling up with
gasoline but he only found out after the bearings were knocking badly.
This example is a bit extreme relative to rich running carbys
though...

YMMV

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits