Re: TR 6 painting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR 6 painting
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 10:34:52 -0500
Frank,

While I'm no authority on the changeover point, I do now believe at some point
late in
the production run (mid '76?) the area inside the grille was painted black.
We've got
several 76 parts cars and one has black and two do not.  I don't have any
commission
tags or body #'s for these cars so I can't match anything up.  All the cars
look to be
original when sanded down to expose the correct white then red primer under the
color.  Anyone else know if this was a late production change?

Another interesting side note - the car that has the black around the grille
also had
a 2"x4" sticker on the cowl under where the dash pad would be.  It is printed
"O.K.
PAINT" and there is a place to write in a body # that is blank, or at least the
ink
faded a long time ago if it was ever filled in.  Anyone know what this is?
Never saw
it before on any other cars.  Was it another production change introduced when
Triumph
was having quality problems with the TR-7?  Was it some certification for paint
repairs done on the production line?  Anyone?