Re: Gas in oil

To: Rengrave@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas in oil
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 07:52:00 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< I only have about 1/64" of end play on my crank when I perform the push
back
 pulley, press clutch pedal test to check thrust washer wear.
 How do I measure this distance accurately?
 Don't forget, this layer of muck is at least 15 years old.

 Wayne
 Not excited about a complete rebuild :(, but was thinking about new bearings
 and thrust washers.

Wayne,

I used a snap gauge between the radiator face and the fan face, then measured
the difference with a 0-1" micrometer or dial caliper.  This way is accurate
enough for what you're trying to do.  If you haven't already, you can read
about my TW dilema and what I've done about it at:

http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/tr6.html

or click here: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/tr6.html";>TR6 Thrust
Washer Page</A>

You're only supposed to have about .013" max end float.  If your wear is near
that, you may have worn through, or getting close to wearing through the
copper facing of the front washer, and that's when the trouble begins.....

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana
'57 BN4
'76 TR6