Re: Gas in oil

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gas in oil
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 19:18:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trmgafun@aol.com wrote:

> << The residue is probably lead from the leaded gasoline that the car was born
>  to ingest.  This is the reason that it is advisable to change the oil when
>  the engine is heated to normal operating temp. before draining the oil.  The
>  warm oil suspends the debris and contaminates and allows it to drain out.
>  Tetraethyl lead has a habit of washing into the pan from the cylinder walls
>  and ending up in the bottom of the oil pan since it is a heavy metal
>  derivative.
>   >>
> Hi,
>
> When you think about how many moving parts are in an engine, and how times
> those parts push, pull, pump, spin, crank, slide, whirl, and so on, it's no
> wonder that there isn't some kind of goop sitting at the bottom of the oil pan
> after years of good use.  No matter what kind of oil you're using, there's
> going to be wear when there's friction.  If the engine seems to be working
> fine, and there's nothing obviously wrong with the engine, I'd be inclined to
> clean out the pan, put on a new gasket, reinstall it with fresh oil and
> filter, and off you go again....
>
> Just my $.02
>
> Scott Helms

I have a habit of doing this every 30 K on all my cars, less than 1 hour
on each. First I run the engine to get it warm, then pour in 1 quart of
flushing oil (kerosene) then drain, clean the pan, check the oil pump &
screen, replace the gasket, and yes there is always metal residue in the
bottom of the pan no matter how often you change the oil.